SMRT Central Office
2030 Addison Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
Tel: +1 510-841-1899
Fax: +1 510-841-2340
SMRT Educational Seminars
MR Imaging of the Breast
Volume 5, Number 3
The SMRT Educational Seminars
(Volume 5, Number 3), has been approved for 3.0 Category A
Continuing Educational credits.
Read the SMRT Educational Seminars (Volume 5, Number 3),
"MR Imaging of the Breast" and complete
the quiz and official Answer Form at the back of the article. To
receive credit the quiz must be completed with a score of 75% or
better. Completion of all questions with a passing score will earn a
total of 3.0 category A Continuing Education credits.
SMRT members should send the completed
Answer Form to the SMRT Education Department for scoring. The
certificate will state the CE reference number and awarded CE
credits. Members receiving a score less than 75% will be notified
and given the option of taking the quiz an additional two times.
Members should retain their CE Certificate for their Continuing
Education registry requirements.
Technical Aspects of Breast MRI
- To establish the general
hardware and software requirements for accurate detection,
diagnosis, and staging of breast cancer.
- To review essential components
of patient preparation and positioning, to ensure a successful
- To discuss data acquisition
methods and lesion enhancement patterns.
- To consider enhancement
patterns, tumor morphology, and patient history when
- To review various methods of
post processing of images.
Intraprocedural Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Guided Interventions in the Breast
Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Breast Cancer
- To review the basic imaging
principles and advantages of contrast enhanced breast MRI.
To discuss imaging strategies used
to address the problems associated with instruments and
- To consider the
difficulties associated with MRI guided minimally invasive
review advances in iMRI (intraprocedural MRI) guided tumor
MR Imaging to Detect and Characterize Ruptures of Silicone Breast Implants
- To review the physical principles of proton magnetic
- To compare the single-voxel techniques such as STEAM and
- To evaluate the spectroscopic findings of in vitro
techniques versus in vivo techniques.
- To contemplate the future advances of spectroscopic imaging
of the breast.
Progress Report from the American College of Radiology
- To review the prevalence of silicone breast implants and
previous methods of imaging ruptures.
- To differentiate between the different impant configurations
based on location and type.
- To consider the three categories of breast implant rupture:
intracapsular, extracapsular, and gel filled.
- To review the MR visualization criteria needed for the
detection of possible rupture.
- To review patient preparation, exam set up, and standard
imaging sequences used when imaging implant rupture.
- To compare and contrast different methods of fat suppression
used in implant imaging.
- To discuss common pitfalls which are challenging when
imaging breast implants.
- To explain the importance of a "lexicon" in the reporting
and comparison of imaging data.
- To review the development of the first Breast MR Imaging
- To discuss various terminology used for breast lesion
morphology, lesion architecture, duct carcinoma, and enhancement
- To contemplate the need for further development and use of
the Breast MR Imaging Lexicon.