ISMRM Rules for Etiquette
on Study Group Email Listservs & Other Discussion Groups or Lists
The ISMRM provides email listservs for each of its Study Groups. These listservs exist to facilitate discussion amongst members on the topic(s) covered by each Study Group. The following rules apply to all study groups as well as any other forum for member discussion provided by ISMRM.
Please remember these listservs are an ISMRM resource and appropriate for ISMRM-related notifications or work-related questions to study group members.
1. Do Not Post:
- Political messages that advocate a particular viewpoint, including links to articles and editorial pieces.
- Advertisements of products or services unless such product or service is specifically sponsored by the ISMRM or otherwise approved by the ISMRM.
- Commercial messages, including, but not limited to, messages offering or seeking any kind of business relationship (including employment), soliciting contributions or soliciting membership or subscription to any resource not offered by the ISMRM.
- Materials, such as newsletters and related content, generated by a company or other for-profit entity. Logos and tag lines used as part of a signature or otherwise included in an email posted to any ISMRM Study Group Listserve should be discrete and of a size, placement, and description as normally used by the sender and should not be disproportionately large.
- Any message, data, information, text or other material (“Content”) that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, harassing, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, threatening, offensive, vulgar or otherwise injurious to third parties, or that would constitute or encourage a criminal offense, create any liability or violate any local, state, national, or international law or regulation. Users of the study group listserve may be held individually liable for any communications they send through the group.
- Any content such as charity requests, petitions for signatures, other solicitations of group users, promotional materials, chain letters or letters relating to pyramid schemes, advertising or solicitations for funds, political campaigning, mass mailings, any form of unsolicited commercial or promotional email (spam) or an offering of any non-ISMRM goods, services, schemes or promotions.
- Any harmful content including without limitation, viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, zombies, cancel bots, or any other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, program, data or personal information.
- Same or similar message to multiple ISMRM listserves or groups.
2. Community Etiquette:
- When posting to the list, all subscribers will receive your email.
- When replying to an email from the list, please click “reply” to reply only to the sender of the message.
- Please do not click “reply-all” unless it is your intention to have your reply go to the entire list.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire group when it contains information that benefits everyone.
- Send messages such as “thanks for the information” or “me, too” to individuals–not to the entire group. Do this by using your e-mail application’s forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the e-mail address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the group”, through the group. To unsubscribe from the group, follow the directions at the bottom of any group email message.
- Warn other group subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says “Long Message.”
- When using an Auto Reply message for times you are out of the office, please be sure to “Create a Rule” (this is easily done with Microsoft Outlook’s Out of Office Assistant) that would prohibit sending the message to the group.
- If you are upset about a posting, please contact the ISMRM Membership Department by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Disclaimer of Warranties and Other Disclaimers
- All materials, information, products and services (“Material”) included in or available through this site may contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. ISMRM makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of the Material.
- Changes are periodically made to the groups and may be made at any time. ISMRM accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site by others.
- Your use of this site is solely at your own risk. ISMRM does not warrant that the groups will operate error-free or that these groups and their servers are free of computer viruses and other harmful goods. If your use of these groups or the Material results in the need for servicing or replacing equipment or data, ISMRM is not responsible for those costs. The Materials are provided on an “as is” basis without any warranties of any kind.
- ISMRM, to the fullest extent of the law, disclaims all warranties, including the warranty or merchantability, non-infringement of third party rights and the warranty of fitness for particular purpose.
- ISMRM makes no warranties about the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of the Material, services, graphics and links or that any defects or errors will be corrected.
4. Limitation of Liability
- Under no circumstances shall ISMRM be liable for any lost profits, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, consequential or any other damages whatsoever resulting from the content of these groups or the use of, or inability to use, these groups.
- This limitation applies to any alleged liability based on any legal theory including, but not limited to, contract, tort, negligence, warranty or strict liability, even if ISMRM has been advised of the possibility of such damage.
- Because some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, ISMRM’s liability in such jurisdiction shall be limited to the extent permitted by law.
- ISMRM reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to update or revise this page at any time. Notice of such changes will not be transmitted to anyone and will be located only here. Any revisions will become effective the first day immediately. If you post on the groups after notice is received or if you fail to unsubscribe, then you will be deemed to have accepted the revised rules and are bound by them.
5. Right to Moderate Users
- ISMRM reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to moderate any user, with or without notice, for any reason including, but not limited to, your failure to abide by these terms and conditions of use.
6. Right to Terminate Access
- ISMRM monitors the site for inappropriate postings. If notified by a user of these groups that misconduct or bias or other behavior not conducive to open discussion has occurred, whether on behalf of the ISMRM Community, ISMRM may investigate the allegation and determine in its sole discretion whether to remove or request the removal of the member.
- ISMRM reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to these groups, with or without notice, for any reason including, but not limited to, your failure to abide by these terms and conditions of use.
- Any group member who has been terminated may petition for reinstatement after a waiting period of 12 months. ISMRM shall have sole discretion as to whether reinstatement is permitted, provided no legal action, threatened or real, or other threats or coercion has been brought against ISMRM, the member has not presented himself falsely and he has not re-registered as a member other than himself.
- If you are currently subscribed to one or more of these groups and do not wish to abide by the terms above, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to email@example.com. You will be removed automatically.
- You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless ISMRM, its officers, directors, employees, from and against any claims, actions or demands, including without limitation reasonable legal and accounting fees, alleging or resulting from your use of these groups and/or Material or your breach of the terms of this Agreement. ISMRM shall provide notice to you promptly of any such claim, suit, or proceeding and shall assist you, at your expense, in defending any such claim, suit or proceeding.
For any specific questions or issues with the ISMRM Study Group Listserves, please contact the Director of Membership & Study Groups at: firstname.lastname@example.org.